March 24, 2013

Over and done

Grade 1 is over and done with! Adi's last working day was 2 days back and today we received the report card with his grades and "promoted to grade 2" written on it (well, that wasn't a surprise!!). A year gone by all too soon - with some things going as we expected it to, some not and with some surprises along the way too.

This year has been a year of learning for me as much as it was for Adi. Throughout his UKG, I worried if I was being a lazy mom and should be spending time teaching him at home and making him revise what he's learnt in school. So this year, I decided to experiment and see what the results will be. I made him write hindi or learn spellings everyday for 10 mins at home and then went for weeks without making him do anything at all. I did a  basic revision at home a day before his assessments and then some days I sent him without any preparation at all. And the assessments results did vary based on the preparation and effort he had put in at home. His hindi underwent a remarkable improvement after he revised everyday at home and then came down to average after we stopped. The same with spellings too. So I guess I've figured out that with my child, additional preparation is indeed necessary. Not to the extent to spending hours over his books everyday - but just a 10-15 mins of revision maybe twice or thrice a week. He definitely doesn't have the discipline for this this right now and unfortunately neither do I. My interest and will to make him revise is never consistant - it goes through phases of ups and downs. My only hope is that once he is older, he will get into a routine himself and figure out what he needs to do "if" he wants to excel. This is a choice that we have left entirely to him - atleast for now ;)



No comments: