December 04, 2012

Sexual Abuse Awareness

Well, today has been dedicated to "blog update" and I want to update most of the events, incidents, travels that has happened this year - posts that have been in my mind but have not reached my fingers!! One significant event is that I managed to make my son aware of sexual abuse. Cannot claim that he is completely aware but at least I spoke to him about it and I check with him periodically to see if he remembers. A few of my friends had blogged about it, but I didn't know the right way to explain this to my son. Until the TV show Satyamev Jayate happened. I guess it was the 2nd or 3rd episode of Satyamev Jayate and it focussed on child sexual abuse. Towards the end of the show, Aamir Khan had a workshop for the kids where he explained about "danger parts" and how to deal with a situation where a stranger touches the "danger parts" without his or his parents permission (when doctors are involved). And I just had to show this to Adi - AK explained it so easily, in a way kids could understand. We were in Delhi at that time and so my Sis and I showed this program to Adi and his cousin Bhoomi. As expected, there were questions and we answered it. And then they were amused by the whole idea of it and kept giggling away talking about it :))

Anyways, every other month I ask Adi if he remembers what the danger parts are and if anyone has been messing around. And he does remember. I think I owe this education to Aamir Khan - he was brilliant in his teaching and explaining.

I wish we were educated about this when we were children. As a growing girl I have been touched, groped, pinched - in the streets, trains, buses, shops - many times when I my Mom was around - but I never had the courage to tell her. I think this has left a lasting effect on me - where I am not comfortable with guy friends touching me unless I know them really, really well. I do not want my son to go through this (yes, I think boys can be abused too) and want to give him the courage to share anything that happens with his parents. And God forbid, if something does happen, he is able to come and talk to his parents about it. I can only try to my best to make him understand - I hope he does.




No comments: