August 13, 2011

Bedtime stories of the week

Ever since Adi started school in June, we have this new routine at bedtime - Adi reads a book on his own and I read two for him. When I first suggested this to Adi, I was quite surprised when he agreed to the 'reading by himself' bit immediately - probably he was tempted by the '2' stories that I would read for him! The four months that Adi went to school in Ipswich, he was learning to read but then it stopped when we returned to India. When he started school again after a 4 month break and was back into a routine, I thought that I should continue his reading since the Indian schools focus more on learning to write first rather than read. And so came up this brilliant idea (I would like to think so!) of Adi reading his own bedtime story. We have managed to do this pretty much everyday apart from maybe weekends or when we are out of town or when Adi is late to bed on schooldays. Every 2 weeks, I get 5 books from the library, couple of which have very simple words and sentences which the kid can read by himself. Adi is now slowing getting confident with the reading and tries to read words that he sees on T-shirts, mugs, posters, etc - whether he gets them right or not, I am happy that he is attempting :)

The book Adi read by himself this week is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I think he just pretended to read this one (and he is very good at guessing and pretending!!) as this book is one of his early favourites and has known the story by heart for the most part of the last 4 years!! I recently gifted a copy of this book to Madhulika, my friend's daughter, and Adi wanted to read it again too. After a very long time, Adi's copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is back on our bedside table. I think this is such a brilliant book for children. It has everything - colours, days of the week, counting, food, science and a fantastic story that kids will love and remember. Adi fell in love with this book the very first time I read it to him and I must say, this is also one of my favourite from Adi's toddler days :)


The books that I read this week are:


Giant Treasury of Beatrix Potter was lent to me by my friend Jo. This was the first time that I read Beatrix Potter and I quite enjoyed it and so did the kid. Three Billy Goats Gruff is from the library. Adi knew this story from his nursery days but enjoyed reading it all over again.

2 comments:

Aparna said...

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of the favourite books at our home too Poornima ! In fact I was just going to write about this subject, as I've just started the bedtime story ritual with Shehan and am hoping to hold on to it :).

poornima said...

Aparna - yes, its a lovely book - I guess every child will love it :) Let me know if there are other nice books that you know of - or maybe put it up in your blog :)